Sunday, November 1, 2009

october 29

The number of Rotifers has increased drastically since last weeks observation. The most abundant identified organism in my microaquarium are still Tachysomas. The Tachysomas can be found in all regions of the microaquarium, and many of them appear to have grown a good deal since last weeks observation. There is one area of my microaquarium that has a much greater population density of Tachysoma and Rotifers. This area is at the bottom of the microaquarium and I believe it to be what is left of the food pellet inserted last week. I discovered three new organisms not previously seen in my microaquarium today, but I did not have the time to accurately identify them so ill just describe what I saw. The first organism appeared to be some sort of disk shaped algae that could move. The disk shaped object seemed to rotate so that it would appear disk shaped then line shaped. The next organism I saw was sort of carrot shaped with a dark dot at the large end. There was also a long flagella like structure that extended out of the skinny end. The object moved slowly with the flagella looking thing out in front. At one point in time a Tachysoma bumped into it and the carrot shaped body shrank up to just the size of the small dot seen at the back end. The final unidentified object I saw was the largest organism I have seen in my microaquarium. It kinda looked like a slightly opened clam with eyelash looking things coming out of one end. I look forward to trying to identify these new organisms this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment